Earth Hour Live

Tonight, millions of people are joining together, and turning off their lights to help make a difference and raise awareness about the issue of global warming. See how the world is taking part, with these live news feeds and images from participating cities. Don't forget to share your Earth Hour moments too. Remember - turn off your lights!

Sunday, March 30, 2008

It's Earth Hour!

Even a big shaggy dog shook his tail for the count down in Nathan Phillips Square. As soon as the clock struck 8 p.m. the BMO building blinked out over the cheering crowd as Nelly stepped up to the mic to sing “Turn out the lights”. With every passing minute the night gets darker and the audience stands outlined in the fading civil twilight. In addition to some familiar faces from local news stations I’ve spotted local city councillor Janet Davis and MP Olivia Chow enjoying the show.


Officially, Toronto Hydro has reported a load drop of 223MW and dropping. “That is equivalent of approx. 100,500 homes”, says Blair Peberdy, Vice-President of Toronto Hydro, who stands on the square enjoying his hot coffee with a smile.

We’ve all got something to smile about.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheers! to everyone on our first Earth Day. It was our family's pleasure to be able to give something back to our Mother!

Sher

Anonymous said...

This meant a lot to me. To have my family and friends be a part of it was fun!! We all went and recycled the bags full of plastic, cans, bottles, paper, boxes, etc. while we waited. I hope that we did make a difference even if it was a small one. We will continue to do what we can to make this a constant routine at least once a month. God Bless all of you who helped tonight!!

:)

God Bless our Planet!!

Lee said...

I am really sad that this was not well advertised. I learned about it, today, while on an airplane. I saw it in a Delta flight magazine, that had a "Green" article in it and mentioned Earth Hour on March 29th at 8PM. This was the first and only time I had heard of it. When I got home, Google had it on it's homepage. Way to go Google. But, I would not have known about it, had I not seen that article.
Our whole family participated and we were happy to do it. I looked around our neighborhood to see if other houses were dark, and it seems as though only 2 or 3 in the neighborhood participated. But, that is a start.
All for it!!!!

Nicholas F said...

I celebrated Earth Hour by turning ON all the lights inside and outside my house and adding spotlights on the outside to highlight it. The photos were beautiful, and I feel great about doing my part to show I don't care about the garbage people are trying to stuff down our throats. I hope you decide to do the same next time.